#45









"NO SMOKING sign"

           coming soon....


This little poem connects with Petula Clark’s guest appearance on The Muppet Show in its second season.


& The poem started as an expression on unrequited love (thirsty desperation), but then layers started to develop, and I was reminded of Hollinghurst's The Swimming Pool Library. I was just coming out of the closet when it was introduced to me my professor, Dr. Donald Doub, at SFSU. I remember feeling offended by it, but because of it, I saw Billy Budd at the San Francisco Opera House by my self, and it was an amazing experience. I'm sure I have more to say about all this, but let's just watch the chicken Western.

 

& Petula Clark has two songs related to the waves: “My Friend the Sea,” & “Marin" or "Sailor."  


& In New York now, the beaches are Smoke-Free zones.



& The beach is the setting of Antonio Carlos Jobim’s “The Girl from Ipanema,” the lyrics of which were inspired by a Brazilian girl in Rio de Janeiro who received whistles whilst going to the bodega to pick up cigarettes!  Clark performs the alternate version, “The Boy from Ipanema," to a Muppet Bossman in this episode. 


 

& Global exploration started with the Portuguese during the Age of Discovery.



& The boys sing "Sea Chantey," which is a song by Abe Burrows. Abe Burrows wrote the musical adaptation of Guys and Dolls, based of Damon Runyon's stories during Prohibition. Like his characters, he was a smoker, and he unfortunately passed from lung cancer.